21st century churches are changing as they experience and respond to various movements of God’s Spirit in our world today. Here are five movements which I believe are important:
- Compassion – Love of God and all creation guides all our decisions and actions.
- Contemplation – Practices of prayer and meditation combine with a deepening spirituality at the core of our Christian life.
- Community – Individual behavior comes out of knowing ourselves as part of a community of both church and world with a commitment to the well-being of all.
- Connection – Awareness that our relationship with God weaves together with all of God’s creation creates action seeking to heal and restore.
- Cooperation – Working together to fulfill God’s desires for creation displaces competition and exclusion, making shalom a reality for all.